Tuesday, September 6, 2016

New Book: Anatomy of a Song

Anatomy of a Song
I have some exciting news I'd like to share with you. On Nov. 1, my book, Anatomy of a Song, will be published in the U.S. and the U.K. by Grove Press. The book will feature 45 of my popular "Anatomy of a Song" columns for The Wall Street Journal, including interviews with Mick Jagger, Joni Mitchell, Rod Stewart, Roger Waters, Keith Richards, Stevie Wonder, R.E.M., the Clash, the Doors, Lloyd Price, Smokey Robinson, John Sebastian, Grace Slick and many, many more. In the U.S., go here to order the book (Kindle coming soon). In the U.K., go here to order the book and here for the Kindle edition.

Lloyd+Price-Lawdy+Miss+Clawdy-Specialty+428
Most of the book's chapters feature bonus material that wasn’t included in the original WSJ version. I've also written new introductions to all of the songs that collectively trace the history of R&B and rock between 1952 and 1991. Why start in 1952? Because Lawdy Miss Clawdy was recorded that year and was among the first to feature a back-beat that had a profound influence on rock 'n' roll. Why stop in 1991 with R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion? Because 25 years seemed like the right amount of time before a popular song can be considered iconic and timeless—free from the hype that typically accompanies its initial release.

Rs-135432-6769df34e34ac501fdc0836cb87ba754f04189e9
After I tracked down and interviewed the songwriters and recording artists behind each hit, I edited the transcripts so that their story would be told in their words and voice. This allows the oral histories to sound as if the subjects were talking directly to you. I'm told the result is a new style of oral history that reads like the dialogue in a screenplay.

The-doors-light-my-fire-1967-5
For the past nine years, I've posted six days a week at JazzWax. These posts have included exclusive jazz-legend interviews, essays on music history, links to articles, music clips from my library, and tips on forgotten albums and new releases. Now I’m asking you to pre-order one or more copies of Anatomy of a Song as a way to show your support. Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to hear what you think of the book when you receive it in November. In the U.S., go here to order the book (Kindle coming soon). In the U.K., go here to order the book and here for the Kindle edition.

R-3057166-1363829544-6138-jpeg
Anatomy of a Song
features interviews with artists on the writing and recording of 45 rock, R&B, reggae, disco, country, soul and pop hits…

1: Lawdy Miss Clawdy
2: K.C. Loving (Kansas City)
3: Shout
4: Please Mr. Postman
5: Runaround Sue
6: Chapel of Love
7: You Really Got Me
8: You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’
9: My Girl
10: Reach Out I’ll Be There
11: Darling Be Home Soon
12: Light My Fire
13: White Rabbit
14: Groovin’
15: Different Drum
16: (Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay
17: Fist City
18. Street Fighting Man
19: Stand By Your Man
20: Magic Carpet Ride
21: Proud Mary
22: Oh Happy Day
23: Suspicious Minds
24: Whole Lotta Love
25: Mercedes Benz
26: Moonlight Mile
27: Maggie May
28: Carey
29: Respect Yourself
30: The Harder They Come
31: Midnight Train to Georgia
32: Ramblin’ Man
33: Rock the Boat
34: Walk This Way
35: Love’s in Need of Love Today
36: Deacon Blues
37: (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
38: Heart of Glass
39: Another Brick in the Wall
40: London Calling
41: Brother John/Iko Iko
42: Big City
43: Time After Time
44: Nick of Time
45: Losing My Religion

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 8.58.35 PM
In the U.S., go here to order the book (Kindle coming soon). In the U.K., go here to order the book and here for the Kindle edition.

       


from JazzWax http://ift.tt/2c69oN0

No comments:

Post a Comment