Friday, February 17, 2017

McEnroe, Carroll and Tessa

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.24.25 PM
In The Wall Street Journal this week,
I interviewed John McEnroe for my "House Call" column (go here). We talked about growing up in Queens, why he disputed line calls the way he did and where his tempestuous nature comes from. [Photo above of John McEnroe from Jimmy Kimmel Live at YouTube]

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.29.44 PM
Also in the WSJ,
my chat with society event-planner extraordinaire David Monn on his favorite song, Regina Belle's Dream in Color (go here). [Photo above of David Monn, courtesy of David Monn's press reel]

518459
Barbara Carroll.
In the wake of my tribute to the late Barbara Carroll, I received the following from saxophonist Bill Kirchner...

"Hi there. JazzWax readers will be interested to know that bassist Joe Shulman, whose name you include in the personnel of the audio clips featured in your post on Barbara Carroll, was Barbara's husband. They married in 1954 and he died of a heart attack in 1957."

HARRY_BELAFONTE_SCARLET+RIBBONS+EP-555222
Harry Belafonte.
Following my post on singer Harry Belafonte's jazz start in 1949, arranger Bob Freedman sent along the following:

"Your post reminded me of lying on the living room floor listening to my parents' console radio at midnight while Symphony Sid played some of the best records I'd ever heard. Sid gave a lot of play to Harry Belafonte's recording of Lean on Me, and he always referred to Harry as "The Cinderella Gentleman." I remember how Brew Moore's solo on that record impressed me, though I never quite understood the "Cinderella Gentleman" thing.

"Early in the 1976 tour I did with Harry, he and Brazilian guitarist and accordionist Sivuca would jam some pretty nice stuff during the show. I recall how Harry lit up when I mentioned that he and Sivuca were going bring back the popularity of jazz. Too bad that I was wrong about that."

Hqdefault
Speaking of Brazil,
go here to watch and listen to the great Rio drummer Renato Massa and a tribute to bossa nova drummer Milton Banana, who died in 1998. Unfortunately the video clip can't be embedded but it's worth a click.

DaOQrylt
Tessa Souter,
a superb vocalist, will be appearing at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola in New York on Tuesday, March 7, with shows at 7:30 and 9:30. Tessa will be joined by pianist Adam Platt, guitarist Yotam Silberstein, bassist Sean Smith and drummer Billy Drummond. [Photo above of Tessa Souter from Tessa's Twitter page]

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.45.58 PM
A Love Supreme.
Following my post on the similarities between Art Farmer and Quincy Jones's Mau Mau in 1953 and John Coltrane's A Love Supreme in 1964, I received the following email from jazz critic and author Bob Blumenthal:

"For another example of what we (or at least I) refer to as the Love Supreme riff, check out Eddie Harris' 1967 recording of Sham Time from his album The Electrifying Eddie Harris. He introduces the riff in his solo (at 2:45) and develops it for the next half minute. Then he brings it back as his background accompaniment to Jodie Christian's piano solo at 4:40, allowing the phrase to grow into a full horn section riff at 5:14. This always struck me as a perfect example of Albert Murray's point about the proximity of the Saturday Night Function and the Sunday Morning Service."

Here's Eddie Harris playing Sham Time...

What the heck: Here's Barbara Carroll playing Barbara's Carol...

Oddball album cover of the week.

Image1
Where in heaven's name was this sock hop held? And when? The so-called "land of hi-fi" looks like a country behind the old Iron Curtain. Not sure which is odder, the hair style on the girl in the cover photo, her unflattering shorts or the odd sock roll. The music, on the other hand, was solid...

       


from JazzWax http://ift.tt/2kSZ8fT

No comments:

Post a Comment